Homemade Authentic Italian Pesto Recipe
Bursting with Fresh, Herby Flavour
Pesto is a great pasta sauce. A combination of basil, pine nuts and cheese, the sauce is simple and easy to make but super tasty. Always a hit with children, why not try this recipe at home?
- Peel the garlic, then pound in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt.
- Pick, roughly chop and add the basil leaves, then bash to a paste (or pulse in a food processor).
- Add the pine nuts (very lightly toast first, if you like) to the mixture and pound again, then stir in half the Parmesan.
- Drizzle in some oil – you need just enough to bind the sauce and get it to an oozy consistency.
- Add most of the remaining cheese, then season to perfection with salt and black pepper. Have a taste, and keep adding a bit more cheese or oil until you are happy with the taste and consistency.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end to give it a little twang, if you like, but it’s not essential.
- Add to pasta. Enjoy!